Graduate students in the College have three opportunities each year—corresponding to Application for Graduation (AFG) deadlines in the fall, spring, and summer semesters—to receive their degree.
The following provides a general overview of the process of certifying students for graduation highlighting the distinct responsibilities of COGA, the departments, and students. Department staff and students may have other responsibilities, as determined by their department/program, that are not described here.
- Download COGA’s Student Degree Checklist (Master’s or Doctoral) and CLAS Graduate Calendar as a guide to application and submission requirements and deadlines.
- Verify with the department/adviser that he or she has met all departmental requirements for the degree.
- Review his or her transcript and ensure all that Incompletes, waiting or missing grades (other than those for the final semester) have been cleared from their record. If Incompletes or Waiting Grades are found, the student should contact the instructor to address the situation.
- Submit the Application for Graduation through Enroll & Pay prior to the deadline. You must apply for the semester in which you intend to graduate. Applications for Graduation are tied to one semester and do not extend beyond that semester. If you have previously applied and did not meet that graduation deadline, you must apply again.
- Submit all required documentation (as indicated on the checklist) to COGA by the Application for Graduation deadline.
- Provide students with copies of the relevant Degree Checklist when they complete their Final Exam and send timely reminders to pending graduates as the Application for Graduation deadline approaches.
- Review the files of all pending graduates and follow-up on Incomplete, waiting, or missing grades from previous semesters. Grades must be resolved before the degree can be issued because they can impact the students' GPAs and, in the worst-case scenario, render a student ineligible for the degree. Unresolved Incompletes will convert to F's upon the student's graduation if a grade is not assigned.
- Two weeks prior to the Application for Graduation deadline, query a list of students who have applied for graduation through the KUGS system on Enroll & Pay. Send reminders to students who are believed to be eligible for graduation but have not yet applied.
- Submit Final Exam outcomes via PTD prior to the Application for Graduate deadline.
- By the first business day following the grade submission deadline, access the KUGS system and update the status of each student who has applied for graduation, indicating whether departmental requirements have been met or if their graduation is denied.
- Carefully review all candidates’ files (coursework, milestones, enrollment requirements, GPA, etc) and prepare final degree certification.
- Send reminder e-mails to Departments two weeks in advance of the Application for Graduation deadline and on the Application for Graduation deadline.
- Follow up with Departments who have students whose School/Departmental Requirements field has not been updated after the deadline
- Notify departments of students with Incomplete, Waiting, or missing grades. We strongly encourage departments to follow-up on these pending grades in advance.
- Follow-up with students on any formatting issues with their dissertation or thesis.
- Submit approvals/denials of all pending Applications for Graduation via KUGS.
- Submit final degree lists for all master’s and doctoral degree to be conferred to the Dean of the College.
- Submit approved degree lists to Graduate Studies.