The Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) is an option for graduate students seeking to take a course outside of their degree or certificate program. No course graded CR/NC will count toward the satisfaction of any graduate degree or certificate requirement. Degree requirements include, but are not limited to, courses taken to fulfill the Research Skills and Responsible Scholarship for doctoral students. It is the student's responsibility to check with the department about the appropriateness of CR/NC.
Students electing the CR/NCR option must do so electronically via the Registrar's Credit/No Credit online form». The election must be made during the CR/NC time frame, which can be found in the Registrar's current Academic Calendar». This period typically begins after the last day to add a class and extends for approximately two weeks.
Although the College records and reviews all CR/NCR elections, students should note that the course instructor will not be made aware of the election unless the student chooses to notify them. The instructor will issue a grade as usual and the system will apply CR or NCR based on that letter grade. Students are still advised to check with their department or advisor about the appropriateness of electing CR/NC.
Please note these additional restrictions on the use of Credit/No Credit option:
- Students can elect only one class per semester as CR/NC.
- Graduate students must earn a grade of “C” or above in order to receive credit. A grade of “C-” will not count for credit.
- Courses graded CR or NC will not count toward your GPA.
- Students must be enrolled in the course prior to electing for CR/NC.
- If the student wishes to void the selection of CR/NC, this change must be completed via the CR/NCR online form» within the CR/NC period.
- Under no circumstances can CR/NC be changed after the CR/NC period.