College's Master’s Hooding Ceremony
All master's degree students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences who are candidates for graduation are invited to participate in the Master's Hooding and Undergraduate Distinction/Highest Distinction Ceremony on May 14, 2016, 10:30 a.m., at the Lied Center. This ceremony is a great way for you and your family and friends to recognize your academic achievement.
Any master's degree student who graduates in the summer, fall, or spring semesters preceding the ceremony or any master's student expecting to graduate in the summer or fall immediately following the ceremony is welcome to participate. Registration is required, and the deadline for registration is Thursday, April 14th.
If you wish to participate you should:
- Register for the event online. The deadline for registration is Thursday, April 14th. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
- Coordinate with a faculty member to serve as your hooder. You should personally contact your faculty advisor/mentor and ask him or her to be present at the ceremony to hood you. If your faculty mentor or advisor cannot be present, you may choose another professor, or we can ask an associate dean to hood you.
- Purchase regalia (cap, gown, tassel, and hood) for the ceremony. For purchasing information, visit the KU Bookstore on level two of the Kansas Union or visit the graduation regalia section of the KU Bookstore web site. We recommend ordering these items as soon as possible, and no later than May 1. Sizes become more limited as commencement approaches. Please review our Hooding Demonstration» video.
Tickets are required for this event; seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you have any friends or family who are unable to attend the event in person, they may attend remotely via live streaming» of the ceremony. More information about live streaming of the event can also be found on the Lied Center website»
School of the Arts Recognition Ceremony
SOTA hosts a separate recognition ceremony for all SOTA graduates. SOTA master’s degree candidates are hooded at this ceremony, not at the College Master’s Hooding Ceremony. Please see the SOTA website» for more information.
Doctoral Hooding Ceremony
All August, December, and May doctoral degree candidates are eligible to participate in the Doctoral Hooding Ceremony in May at the Lied Center. Only doctoral candidates who have satisfied all of their degree requirements by the deadline for graduation in May will be eligible to participate in the Doctoral Hooding Ceremony. This Ceremony is organized by the Office of Graduate Studies. For more information, please visit the Office of Graduate Studies' website».
All degree candidates for spring and those who received degrees in the previous summer or fall semesters are eligible to participate in the University-wide Commencement Ceremony in May, also known as “walking down the hill." If students would like their name in the Commencement book, they must apply for their degree through Enroll & Pay by March 1st of the spring semester. Graduates who do not want to be listed in the Commencement program may check the Commencement Book Hold box when they apply for graduation through Enroll & Pay». For more information, please visit the Commencement website».
Important Ceremony Information:
- Hooding Demonstration (Video)»
- Doctoral Hooding Registration»
- Master's Hooding Ceremony Registration - Currently inactive. Deadline for registration: Thursday, April 14th. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Master's Hooding Ceremony Procedures for Students
- Master's Hooding Ceremony FAQs
- Master's Hooding Ceremony Procedures for Faculty
- SOTA Ceremony»