Graduation Overview

The College Student Academic Services Office certifies completion of degrees to the Office of the University Registrar when all of the appropriate graduation requirements have been met.

Referrals to Graduation Advisors

The College Student Academic Services Office graduation advisors work with juniors and seniors regarding the following:

  • Undecided students with 90 or more hours
  • New Transfer students and others questioning transfer work evaluation with 90 or more hours
  • On probation
  • Applying for Academic Forgiveness
  • Petitioning for requirement substitutions

Graduation Paperwork

The Application for Degree is an online form that you complete through Enroll and Pay. This can be completed during the semester before you will graduate. The deadline for submitting the AFD is as follows; students are urged to submit their AFD during the semester before they plan to graduate:

• Spring – March 1 (to guarantee inclusion in the official Commencement program, students should turn in AFD by March 1)
• Summer – July 15
• Fall – November 1

This information is submitted to The College Student Academic Services office in 109 Strong Hall, along with the Major Certification Sheet (if required for the major department) and the Senior Survey. All forms must be submitted before your file will be reviewed.

Major Certification Sheet (MCS)

The Major Certification Sheet (MCS) (.pdf) is required for graduation for students in most majors. The form is signed by the student’s major advisor and is used to verify which major courses a student needs to complete in order to graduate with a given major. The following departments no longer require an MCS:

Economics (BA and BGS) (note: BS Economics still requires the MCS).

Psychology (BA and BGS) ( note: BS Behavioral Neuroscience still requires the MCS).

Students need to have this form signed by their major advisor, who lists all courses left to complete (including currently enrolled courses). The advisor should indicate waivers or substitutions of major requirements on the MCS. If the student has already completed all degree and major requirements, the advisor simply states this and signs the bottom of the form. For students majoring in an interdisciplinary major such as American Studies, Humanities, etc., the major advisor lists ALL courses used in the major rather than just the courses left to complete. A clear and complete major check sheet may be attached to the MCS. This form is then submitted to The College Student Academic Services Office in 109 Strong.

Minor Certification Sheet (MIN)

Like the Major Certification Sheet, the Minor Certification Sheet (MIN) (.pdf) is required for graduation. This form must be completed by all graduating students who are completing a minor. The form is signed by the student’s minor advisor and is used to verify which courses are being used to fulfill the requirements to graduate with a given minor.

Students take this form, along with a current Degree Progress Report, to their minor advisor, who lists ALL courses being used to complete the minor (including currently enrolled courses). If a waiver or substitution of a minor requirement is being made, this should be indicated by the advisor on this form as well. This form is then submitted to The College Student Academic Services Office.

Click to visit our new DEI page

Connect with the College

Student Academic Services
(785) 864-3500
Staff Profiles

College Undergraduate Newsletter
College Events & Deadlines
Home to 50+ departments, centers, and programs, the School of the Arts, and the School of Public Affairs and Administration
KU offers courses in 40 languages
No. 1 ranking in city management and urban policy —U.S. News and World Report
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
Nearly $290 million in financial aid annually
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
23rd nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets," Military Times
KU Today